Monday 8 April 2013

Brilliant bulbs, Great Malvern, Worcestershire.

Daffodils in Rose Bank Garden, Great Malvern
Crocus
 Bulbs are brilliant. No matter what you throw at them bulbs seem to flower regardless. The snow and record cold temperatures this country has suffered have not dimmed them. As the first brilliance in the year they are more valued than ever this year. A stroll around my garden this morning I found daffodils and crocus looking like fallen solid sunshine. The hyacinths are not quite there yet but soon they will not only be adding their bright sparkle, but perfuming the air around them with the sweetest of floral scents.

Hyacinth, almost open
In Great Malvern the early daffodil bed are also in standing in perfect brilliance. The later flowering examples are not quite there yet, but as they stand in front of a wide rhododendron bed I am rather hoping the two will flower together.

There are bulbs not just for spring, but for summer and autumn too. In my garden there are many tulips, allium and lilies. Although I have many brighter colour tulips, I find the deep purple of the variety Queen of the Night, the most long last flower and robust of the tulips. It combines in late spring and early summer, with my allium to look fantastic. I also love the sheer spectacular variety and deep intense perfume from the lillies that are datted around my garden. 
Purple Allium, (2012)

Never, however hot or cold and/or wet or dry a year has been, have any of these wonderful bulbs failed to put on a most beautiful display. 



Tulip Q of N (2012)

White Allium (2012)

Yellow Lily (2012)

Daffodils, not quite open, with rhododendrons behind.

No comments:

Post a Comment